Dear Birds,
I am sorry to have accused you for being the responsible party for the "Great Edamame massacre". I still blame you for all of the missing ripe strawberries, but I think that another guilty party may be to blame for the edamame. During one of my morning garden inspections, I noticed one of the edamame sprouts I had protected from the birds had been "de-seeded" and a little slug was curled up next to it in a food induced coma. Let's just say that slug won't be bothering the garden in the future. So.... maybe it was slugs and birds, because 19 seems like a lot for slugs to accomplish overnight. The edamame seeds I planted in the raised container seem to be doing well, so let's hope that we will be eating fresh edamame beans later this summer.
So please stay away from the strawberries and I'll stop accusing you of eating my edamame seedlings.
Sincerely,
Apologetic Gardener
Well, that was a relief to get off my chest! So here are the plants in containers that are thriving so far.
They are the broad plants in the middle and the others are radishes planted to try and keep up with Ryle's voracious radish appetite.
Here are the two that survived the first planting.
Well, they have friends close by, a team of burpless cucumbers, a scalloped squash (photo below) and some arugula.
In another container on the patio are these beauties.... Cherokee Purple tomatoes. I am really excited to taste these! They are supposed to have a deeper/richer taste than plain red tomatoes. Yum!
And on another gardening note, I am pretty sure the Fairytale Eggplants I purchased are actually not Fairytale. I kept monitoring them waiting for the distinctive striping to occur and it still hasn't. Looking at some photos of this type of eggplant seems to show that the marbling occurs from the one-set, so I have a different plant. Oh well, maybe next year.
The jalapeno below (1 of about 4 good sized ones on the plant) was used in a last minute batch of black beans.
No comments:
Post a Comment